Happy Pinning!

Friday, April 22, 2011

I promised you a breakfast delight...

...And here it is!  OK so I have to report first that I lost just over a pound this week, so I am trucking along  having lost over 11 lbs, slow and steady wins the race (although we all would adore quick and easy wouldn't we?) It's Easter weekend (lets see if I survive chocolate temptations but I know I can, I am loving the feeling of success to much to ruin it now!) and we always like to have a fun breakfast around our house, especially with Daddy having Friday off.  I always like to celebrate holidays and special occasions with my family with special meals.  There is something about celebration that equals food.  But seriously with kiddos I am always trying to make special memories so I don't want to give that up just because I also want better health for us. 

Lately I am totally obsessed with the Hungry Girl, have you heard of her? Here she is with her cartoon alter ego:

Her main goal in life is to make food as good for you as possible so you can eat more of it.  Her show is ultra-cheesy but she has so many great ideas that she grows on you.  My husband was shopping and he picked up a cereal that she uses a lot in her recipes for me and it had her cartoon picture on it and my 5 year old was like, "Hey, it's hungry girl!" She's been watching the show with me obviously.  Anyways she always attaches the WW points to her recipes which is awesome for me.  This week she did a breakfast episode of her show and it featured something called Cannoli-Stuffed French Toast! Are you kidding me, who doesn't want a cannoli for breakfast and you are telling me it's only 6 weight watchers points for four pieces including syrup and fruit topping! Count me in! So without further ado....

Cannoli-Stuffed French Toast Nuggets


this recipe is for one whole serving, I multiplied it by four
and made a serving for each of us,
each serving (4 nuggets) are 6 pts, amazing right!

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons fat-free ricotta cheese
  • 2 teaspoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 no-calorie sweetener packet
  • 1 light hot dog bun (about 80 calories)
  • 1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons light whipped butter or light buttery spread
  • 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar
  • Sugar-free pancake syrup, for topping, optional
  • Fresh fruit for topping (we used strawberries and bananas)

Directions

In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, chocolate chips, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and sweetener, and mix well.

Split hot dog bun open lengthwise, without fully separating the 2 halves. Spoon ricotta mixture onto the bottom half of the bun. Gently press the top 1/2 down over the filling. Carefully slice into 4 "nuggets."

Mix egg substitute, cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract in a small bowl. Set aside.

Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add butter and allow to coat the bottom of the skillet. Meanwhile, coat each nugget on all sides with the egg mixture. (You won't need to use all of the egg mixture.)

Once butter has melted, place nuggets in the skillet and, flipping occasionally, cook until golden brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes.

Plate your nuggets and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Top with syrup, if using. Enjoy!


With ricotta chocolate filling oozing out and strawberry banana topping and small drizzle of splenda syrup this was incredible and felt so decadent.  I paired it with a protein option that will be very helpful in getting good for you sausage for breakfast:

Jennie-O and another home run, sausages that are one point each! Awesome, thank you very much I'll take two!

So we had an amazing yummy breakfast and not only am I eating food that is better for me, I am not teaching my kids horrible habits and we still had a fun Good Friday celebratory breakfast.  And it was Oh So Good and pretty, next time you have to put on a breakfast try this sneaky recipe and everyone will ooh and ahh! Don't thank me, thank Hungry Girl!! Happy Good Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment