Happy Pinning!

Friday, April 22, 2011

Fish on Good Friday!

OK OK I know this is a bit much, two entries in one day! What can I say, I am blog happy! We had fish tonight, it seemed like the right thing to do it being Good Friday and all.  So before I show the yummy recipe I have to tell you a cute anecdote.  Today we were driving in the car and my two year old was hysterical for a drink so we stopped at a gas station and my husband bought a thing of apple juice for my kids to split. The little one had hers in a sippy cup and my five year old got the rest of the bottle. So my oldest was drinking it for a few minutes and quietly looking at the bottle and she suddenly said "How many grams in this one Mom?" I smirked and asked "What do you mean? (already guessing what she meant)" and she said "you know, you and dad are always reading these numbers and talking about grams" so I took the bottle and read her the four numbers involved in WW pts (carbs, fat, protein and fiber) and she asked what it meant then my 2 year old thrusts her sippy cup at me "Read mine Momma, my turn, read my cup, read it to me" I started to tell her, her cup didn't have words but she had a "won't take no for an answer" face so I read the same numbers while looking at her cup which seemed to satisfy her. Then when we were at home I heard my little one ask her big sister to"read my cup to me". Then as I was cooking my five year old comes in hands on her hips and comes up to me and says "Mom how come you used to be regular, you know normal, and now you are always reading the packages of everything we eat!" This was so funny and gave me the opportunity to explain to her that I am working hard at making sure we eat the right foods so we are all healthy. Had to share it was so funny! Apparently I'm not normal anymore! Was I ever??? Anyways here is tonight's delicious fish dinner. 

Salmon with Orange Fennel Sauce
Once again from the lovely Cooking Light's Dinner Tonight cookbook
Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
  • 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Preparation
  • Combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; add fish. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 20 minutes, turning once.
  • Prepare broiler.
  • Remove fish from bag, reserving marinade. Place fish, skin sides down, on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
  • Bring reserved marinade to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes. Serve sauce with fish.
They (and we) paired it with rice pilaf and sauteed snow peas.  So good! I try to eat fish as often as possible because everyone always recommends it and I happen to love salmon.  Orange, rosemary and fennel just sounded like such a yummy combo and it was.  I turned it into 6 servings of 4 oz instead of 4 servings of 6 oz.  You know what that means??? Only 4 pts per serving (6 if you want to do the bigger piece of salmon)! Crazy and it tasted so good.  If you don't like salmon I am sure this would taste good with any type of fish.  Or maybe with pork if you don't like fish at all. 

That's all I wanted to share, my recipe and a funny story from my kids! I hope you all had a great Good Friday and took some time to ponder the sacrifice the "Fisher of Men" who gave His life for each of us! Glory to God! Talk to you tomorrow....

2 comments:

  1. I love those cute girls of yours. How cute that they are noticing this switch in you. My kids think ready lables is just about ingredients. Hope you have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute ! Can't wait for Sunday!

    ReplyDelete