- 8 ears corn, shucked
- 6 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped*
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush corn with a little olive oil. Grill corn until lightly browned, turning often to cook evenly; cool. When cool enough to handle, cut corn from cobs.
- Toss corn with tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, pepper, jalapeño, cilantro, vinegar, and the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss and marinate at least 2 hours in the refrigerator before serving. Bring to room temperature to serve. Makes 8 servings.
10 servings, 4 pts each
The next side dish I made was a watermelon salad for a family barbecue, I had heard about this combo and it sounded up my alley so I went for it, the critics seemed to like it so here goes...
Watermelon Mojito Summer Salad
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup warm water
a pinch of salt
fresh lime juice
freshly grated lime zest
1 medium large watermelon (8-10 lbs)
1 cucumber thinly sliced
feta cheese crumbles
2 T fresh mint, preferably spearmint, finely chopped
2 T fresh basil
1. In a small bowl, whisk sugar with 1/4 cup warm water and salt until sugar is dissolved. (I microwave mine with frequent stirring if it doesn't dissolve quickly in the warm water.) Stir in lime juice and zest. Cover and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour. (Syrup can be made ahead, chilled and covered for up to 3 days.)
2. Cube watermelon into 1 inch pieces and add sliced cucumber and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. As close to serving time as possible, stir mint and basil into syrup and drizzle over watermelon pieces. Toss. Sprinkle with 1 cup feta cheese. Serve chilled.
1 full cup, 3 pts
Last but not least, I made some snack bars that I got from another fb cooking group for a concert picnic with friends last night, here is how they go:
Oatmeal Everything Bars
Mix together: 2 Cups rolled oats, 1 cup peanut butter (I used chunky), 1 cup flax seed, 1 cup honey, 1/2 cup dried cherries (chopped), 1/2 cup choc chips, 1/2 cup peanut butter chips, 2 scoops of chocolate whey protein powder. Press into pan and put in fridge for at least 6 hrs (I would recommend actually the freezer because they aren't quite staying together for me!) I put them in a pan that is smaller than a 9 x 13 it's like 8 x11, cutting them into 28 bars (4 x 7) they are 5 pts each. Really sweet and good and with all those ingredients like honey, flax seed, whey protein and oats you can almost convince yourself they are healthy...
In another word from my picnic with friends, we had quite a healthy spread and I tried sushi for the first time. I always was freaked out by the idea of it, I honestly didn't know anything about it! I had california rolls with avocado and crab and can anyone say WASABI!! I was hoping the wasabi would clear out my sinuses, no such luck. I love it though. So I guess while I am mentioning that let me recommend a product to you...
Hungry girl taught me about these:
Blue Diamond 100 calorie almond packs! I love the chocolate and the wasabi! Watch out, these bite! Gotta love portion control. I keep one pack in my purse now at all times. If my blood sugar starts sinking this is always just the right thing to perk me up!