Happy Pinning!

Friday, June 17, 2011

Side dishes, snack bars and status report

First things first, it's Friday, and I was really hoping since I took up jogging this week I would have a surprise boost in my weight loss but alas it was another even 2 lbs down! 22 lbs since I started this adventure.  Another 3 lbs to my next landmark  weight loss goal! Last time I was really doing good with weight loss with Lose it For Life a few years ago pre-2nd child I don't think I ever made it past 25 lbs so I am getting close! I am going to keep working on the jogging, I feel really good about doing it.  I actually struggled with the breathing thing more than anything.  I guess I am really out of shape, sad to say.  Looking forward to when that doesn't feel so hard for my lungs and heart (I shouldn't feel so old at 31 should I?)

My Mom told me where she got that yummy corn salad she made on Memorial Day, and guess what? I had it all along.  It's from Better Homes and Gardens which I subscribe to however the way I do magazines it is more likely that I would find it next June then anytime soon.  Without further ado....

Fresh Corn Salad
Ingredients:
  •  8 ears corn, shucked
  •  6 fresh tomatoes, chopped
  •  2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped
  •  2 green onions, chopped
  •  1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  •  1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped*
  •  1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  •  4 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
  •  3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Directions:
  1. Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush corn with a little olive oil. Grill corn until lightly browned, turning often to cook evenly; cool. When cool enough to handle, cut corn from cobs.
  2. Toss corn with tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, pepper, jalapeño, cilantro, vinegar, and the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss and marinate at least 2 hours in the refrigerator before serving. Bring to room temperature to serve. Makes 8 servings.
*Hot chile peppers, such as jalapeños, contain oils that can burn skin and eyes. Avoid direct contact as much as possible. Wear plastic gloves. If using bare hands, wash hands well with soap and water. 
10 servings, 4 pts each


The next side dish I made was a watermelon salad for a family barbecue, I had heard about this combo and it sounded up my alley so I went for it, the critics seemed to like it so here goes...

Watermelon Mojito Summer Salad


Ingredients:

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup warm water
a pinch of salt
fresh lime juice
freshly grated lime zest
1 medium large watermelon (8-10 lbs)
1 cucumber thinly sliced
feta cheese crumbles
2 T fresh mint, preferably spearmint, finely chopped
2 T fresh basil

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, whisk sugar with 1/4 cup warm water and salt until sugar is dissolved. (I microwave mine with frequent stirring if it doesn't dissolve quickly in the warm water.) Stir in lime juice and zest. Cover and refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour. (Syrup can be made ahead, chilled and covered for up to 3 days.)

2. Cube watermelon into 1 inch pieces and add sliced cucumber and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. As close to serving time as possible, stir mint and basil into syrup and drizzle over watermelon pieces. Toss. Sprinkle with 1 cup feta cheese. Serve chilled.

1 full cup, 3 pts

Last but not least, I made some snack bars that I got from another fb cooking group for a concert picnic with friends last night, here is how they go:

Oatmeal Everything Bars
Mix together: 2 Cups rolled oats, 1 cup peanut butter (I used chunky), 1 cup flax seed, 1 cup honey, 1/2 cup dried cherries (chopped), 1/2 cup choc chips, 1/2 cup peanut butter chips, 2 scoops of chocolate whey protein powder.  Press into pan and put in fridge for at least 6 hrs (I would recommend actually the freezer because they aren't quite staying together for me!)  I put them in a pan that is smaller than a 9 x 13 it's like 8 x11, cutting them into 28 bars (4 x 7) they are 5 pts each.  Really sweet and good and with all those ingredients like honey, flax seed, whey protein and oats you can almost convince yourself they are healthy...

In another word from my picnic with friends, we had quite a healthy spread and I tried sushi for the first time.  I always was freaked out by the idea of it, I honestly didn't know anything about it! I had california rolls with avocado and crab and can anyone say WASABI!! I was hoping the wasabi would clear out my sinuses, no such luck.  I love it though.  So I guess while I am mentioning that let me recommend a product to you...

Hungry girl taught me about these:
Blue Diamond 100 calorie almond packs! I love the chocolate and the wasabi! Watch out, these bite! Gotta love portion control.  I keep one pack in my purse now at all times.  If my blood sugar starts sinking this is always just the right thing to perk me up!

All right, I need to quit advertising (hey why don't I get a kick-back from my endorsements???) and move on with my day, I need to do a lot before the big day tomorrow!! (You'll find out later what I am talking about if you don't know) One last thing, if all of you could recommend or add 5 of your friends that you think would be interested in the group to the page that would be cool! Thanks! Trying to spread the word.  Have an awesome Friday everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I made the corn salad for Father's Day. Everyone (even Andy despite the cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes) loved it! Adam said it was the best salad he had ever had!

    ReplyDelete