Happy Pinning!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

It's Sunday! And God is good!

First of all, I wouldn't be writing to you if God wasn't so good to me. I was supposed to work at the hospital today. One weekend a month I work at the hospital which I hate for a whole lot of reasons and one very big reason is I don't like breaking the Sabbath, I don't want to work at the hospital when I could and should be going to church with my family to worship God with my church family, to spend time with my family and do amazing things like I have been able to do today.  It has nothing to do with not wanting to work, I love being a therapist, I just wish I didn't have to do it at the hospital and on Sundays! Anyways, I was thrilled yesterday when they were slow and they said they didn't need me today. So off to church we went.  So how was I going to make the most of this gift from God.  First after an amazing morning of worship, visiting with friends and an inspiring sermon I started thinking about lunch on the way home.  I didn't know what I was going to make and the kids were literally chanting in the back about wanting to go to a restaurant and I almost caved but then I thought, no, God allowed me to be home today, I want to cook a nice home cooked healthy meal for my family.  I told them we were going to Momma's Restaurant and luckily they cheered, "Yea, Momma's restaurant is the best!" So this is what we had:

Almond Crusted Chicken (From Jillian Michael's Master Your Metabolism)
and Amanda's Lemon Pepper Pasta Salad

Chicken Ingredients:
3/4 cup unsalted almonds chopped (I smash mine with a meat tenderizer, it's a good stress reliever)
2 Tbsp olive oil
Zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
1 sprig of fresh rosemary finely diced
1 garlic clove (or 1 tsp minced)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
I didn't have Mrs Dash's Lemon Pepper seasoning, I totally would have added some if I did!
6 3-4oz chicken breast halves
6 Tbsp feta cheese

Instructions: Preheat oven to 425deg.  In a bowl mix all ingredients except chicken and feta. Spray square baker with cooking spray, place chicken breasts in and spread almond mixture on top of each breast.  Bake for 10-15 min until meat thermometer reads 165-170 deg.  Top each breast with 1 Tbsp feta cheese. 

So light and lemony and the chicken was so juicy and delicious.  7 pts. So since I am all about themes I made this pasta salad to go with it.

1 lb of whole wheat rotini
4 cups broccoli florets
2 cups chopped bell peppers
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
4 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup Lawry's lemon pepper marinade
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
feta cheese

Partially steam broccoli because I didn't want it all the way cooked but I didn't want it all the way raw.  Cook pasta.  Combine pasta, veges and marinade/seasonings.  Serve in 1 cup portions with 1 Tbsp feta on each serving.  5 pts.

This lunch was so good. You have no idea how giddy I am when it is delicious and healthy.  Such a lucky combination. 

Now on to the other reason why I am such a happy girl today.  You know that video I posted on the fb page, you have probably seen it. It's the Do Life guy Ben who runs and runs and loses 120 lbs and just decides he is going to Do Life.  Very inspirational.  I love how he just decided.  Last night I read over 50 pgs of his blog from the very beginning.  While I don't think he and I necessarily hold all the same values and ideals I am very  impressed with his spirit and drive and determination.  And he is starting an entire movement of people who are doing life.  Starting this Sat actually he is doing a tour across the entire US and doing a 5k with people all over, one 5k each day.  I am very tempted because he is in Detroit on July 3 the day we happen to be over there but I think I can't do a 5k, I can't run, and even though they say you can walk I don't want to be the only one walking, that is so embarrassing....So today I laced on my tennis shoes and I went down to the track that is literally 100 yds from my house (really it's ridiculous how I have NO excuses) and I alternated walking and jogging.  I did a mile and a half.  My kids were playing on the football field, my husband joined me for a few laps.  My dog is SO happy (she is thinking FINALLY!) and I trained her to not cross in front of me but keep pace and heel (she needs to learn, she is going to be my new running partner, HA, did I just say that!).  The first time I ran do you know what song came on....

And our cold and cloudy day receded and the clouds parted and the sun began to shine down on me and I ran...it was a beautiful moment.  The next interval that I had to run, this song came on....


When I finished the mile and a half, I walked home with a smile plastered on my face. I too am going to do life and it feels great.  But even better than that, I am going to do life with God's power, by His strength, following His path and focusing on His ideals.  It is a good thing indeed.  I am happy and blessed today.  And stretching my muscles so I can do it again soon!! Happy Sunday everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment