Happy Pinning!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Sakes Alive it's a scorcher!

With a stretch of hot weather all around us it's easy to get to meal time and think, yuck, I don't really want to eat.  And I certainly don't want to cook.  Today at lunch I came home and prepared a light salad that was just perfect this evening, so when the heat index is in the 100's you don't have to worry about hot and heavy food.


 Funniest thing is that last night after running in 100 deg heat we came home and after awhile I thought "I would like some hot cocoa" so yup I had hot chocolate as a snack last night.  God bless air conditioning (even the non centralized kind).  Also my two year old keeps walking around saying "I freezing" which means it can't be too hot right?  Well the fact that my dog goes outside and immediately is barking to be let back in means it is hot! Too hot! So how about a nice light dinner? 

Grilled Shrimp Salad with Feta, Fresh Corn, and Blueberries
This one is from the Pioneer Woman and actually she made it with chicken.  But who doesn't like to substitute chicken once and awhile, mix things up a little, right? But if you either don't like shrimp or like my unfortunate brother-in-law are allergic to the sea creatures of this world don't miss out on this, I am sure it is just as wonderful with chicken and wait till you hear the best part...
  • 1 lb shrimp, tails removed (I used precooked and then grilled them for a minute or two on my indoor grill pan to get a little grill flavor going)
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • 2 Tbsp Olive Oil, For Drizzling
  • 5 stalks Celery (inner Light Green Stalks), Finely Diced
  • 2 ears Fresh Corn (I used grilled)
  • 1/4 whole Medium Red Onion, Finely Diced (sorry Pioneer woman, I never do raw onion, I skipped this one and did more celery than she originally called for!)
  • 1-1/2 cup Blueberries
  • 3 Tablespoons Fresh Dill, Minced
  • 4 Tablespoons Mayonnaise (mine was fat free)
  • 4 Tablespoons Sour Cream (also fat free)
  • 1/4 cup Half-and-half (guess what? fat free!)
  • 1 whole Lemon
  • 1/2 tsp of Mrs Dash's Lemon Pepper (Oh yeah baby, I got two more flavors!!)
  • 1 teaspoon Sugar (more To Taste)
  • Salt And Pepper (additional) To Taste
  • 3/4 cups Crumbled Feta (plus extra feta for sprinkling)

Preparation Instructions

Season shrimp with salt and pepper.
Heat grill pan and drizzle shrimp with olive oil. Grill shrimp just to get pretty grill marks (or if you had raw, until cooked).  Remove from pan. Allow to cool.
With a very sharp knife, shave kernels off each corn cob. Combine with the onion (or not!) and celery. Set aside.
Mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, feta, and half-and-half. Stir in sugar,  add lemon zest and squeeze in lemon juice, and add salt and pepper and Lemon Pepper seasoning. Stir, then taste. Add more salt if necessary; do not under-salt!
Throw shrimp into a bowl with celery, onion, and corn. Stir to combine. Pour half the dressing over the ingredients and toss gently. Add more as desired, but don't overcoat the salad; should be light!
At the end, toss in the blueberries to lightly coat them in the dressing. Serve, then sprinkle individual helpings with feta.

Ready for the kicker....serving is 3/4 cup, makes 12 servings, 3 pts each.  Ummmm, thanks I'll take 2! I piled it up on some romaine and ate it with a roll.  So good.  So light.  So lemony.  And so DILLicious. Trust me with flavor like that you will not miss the fat I cut out of the dressing.  My two year old asked for 3 helpings however her older sister turns her nose up at shrimp so she wouldn't eat it! 

Want a closer look at all the yummy ingredients?

Oh my word I could put blueberries in everything! I hear the pickings are good right now.  Time to take my little migrant workers to the field! We need to store up for winter! With points this low I think I'll skip the low-cal hot cocoa tonight and go for some ice cream!! (Or as my little one says Ice Keem) - -  Peanut Butter cup here I come! Stay cool everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment