Happy Pinning!

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Opposites attract

They say opposites attract.  That is true in healthy eating.  Because if I want to eat something not so healthy I have to eat pretty good the rest of the day to make up for it.  Yesterday was a good example of this.  My parents were flying in at lunch time after a long trip away and I knew their fridge would be empty but after traveling no one wants to eat yucky fast food when they get home, you usually have to do enough of that when you are traveling, so when I picked them up at the airport I wanted to bring them something homemade and light.  So I whipped up a dish from Jillian Michael's cookbook (with a few of my own embellishments as always) which kept things light enough for the sins I would partake of later that night. 
Mediterranean Tuna Salad Wraps

1 can garbanzo beans
1 can sliced black olives
1 Tbsp fresh dill minced
2 can solid white albacore tuna packed in water, drained
2  large hard-boiled, chopped
5 stalks finely chopped celery
2 tbsp finely chopped red onion ( you know how I feel about this -- I used green onions)
4 tbsp tzatziki sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp chopped capers
Juice of 1 lemon and zest
salt & pepper, Mrs Dash Lemon Pepper to taste
Romaine lettuce
Whole Wheat tortillas
Just mix it all together!
Makes 8, 6 pts each including the tortillas which are 2

Another light summer salad for these hot hot days

Then Friday night we were supposed to be camping, those plans were thwarted by extreme heat and family emergencies.  I thought the best option to not devastate those little cherub faces looking to me to save them from their total disappointment was to camp inside.  We put up a living room tent and climbed in and read books and played games and my daughter is now locked in a power struggle with my husband over the flashlights (oops!) but we had a good time overall!

Here is a pic from a previous tent-making experience, look my baby was REALLY a baby then, look at her cute pink ruffled butt crawling into the tent to investigate!!
I am sitting under it now, wondering if I have fulfilled the obligatory period of total living room destruction and can take it down or will there be catastrophic screaming and crying if they wake up and it's gone tomorrow.  Hmmmm....

Anyways, Friday night I wanted to create a camping treat without the camping so I made....

S'mores Brownies (with Reece's Peanut Butter Cups!)

Messy but oh so delicious! Bake a pan of your favorite brownies (Duh, Ghirardelli!) when they come out sprinkle with Golden Grahams cereal (or if you are a purist you could just smash up graham crackers), sprinkle with marshmallows and put in the broiler for like 30-45 sec (careful or your marshmallows with be well done and not just toasty brown) then sprinkle with chocolate, I went with PB cups but then again I am not a purist.  I couldn't resist throwing a little PB in the mix.  Cut square pan into 16 pieces.  6 pt each.  And totally worth it!   Indoor camping is actually pretty nice, no bugs, no smoke smell, don't have to get "decent" before dashing to the bathroom in the morning that isn't too far away.  All in all I had a good time, I think I'll come again!  Hope you all are having a great summer too.  Remember the sinful treats aren't too bad when you pair them with those light and satisfying meals.  Stay cool!

2 comments:

  1. LL you are so cute!!!! Don got such a kick out of you blog tonight! He absolutely loved that you build a tent and had pizza in it because you couldn't go camping. It brings back such fun memories of tent building inside with our boys! Keep writing and posting yummy recipes. I find your blog so fun and refreshing! Don loved the sound of this recipe. So we will try it soon! Love you girl!

    Susan & Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This looks yummy, and the tenting looks fun!

    ReplyDelete