Happy Pinning!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Breakfast any time of the day!

I love doing breakfast for dinner, especially because my husband is usually the breakfast cook and so I can assign him that when I work late.  Tonight I had breakfast as a plan for the night and since I got out of work early I could make the recipes and he easily fell into his position as sou chef.  First order of business, Jillian Michael's had a Denver omelet on my meal plan from her cookbook but I decided to use the ingredients and make a big scramble. 

Denver Egg Scramble
It basically was red pepper and onion and salt and pepper and Mrs. Dash's Southwest sauteed in olive oil, add ham.  Add eggs (we did 8).  When almost done add cheese (1/2 cup sharp cheddar).  Voile. 8 servings, 4 pts. Tons of options, olive, feta, ham = Greek would be one we would could easily do.  Or how about tomato basil?  Yum. Eggs are so good. 

But I thought it needed somethings sweet and I had some of these to use up.
Hmmmm.... they are kind of like crepe consistency....what about Blintzes.  I couldn't decide on flavors so I made Apricot and Cherry.  Yummy!!!

Apricot Blintzes
Mix 1/2 cup softened fat free cream juice, 1/2 cup fat free ricotta cheese and 2 Tbsp light butter, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, lemon zest, 1 Tbsp lemon juice.  Put approx 3 Tbsp mixture into each of 5 egg roll wrappers, roll up and line in sprayed 9 x 13 (kind of like enchiladas).  Bake at 350 for about 10-15 min until heated through. Drizzle with sauce and a dusting of powdered sugar.  Apricot sauce:  2/3 cup sugar free apricot preserves, 1/3 cup OJ, 2 Tbsp light butter and 1 Tbsp lemon juice and more lemon zest.   Combine in pan and simmer, serve warm over blintzes. 

Now for the cherry variety...

Cherry Blintzes
Filling: the same as above except instead of lemon zest/juice I coarsely chopped a handful of dried cherries and through them in the mix. Sauce was obviously Cherry sugar free preserves and  I used prepared ocean spray cherry limeade (sugar free) instead of OJ.  Both types of blintzes are 6 pts.  I had cherry tonight.  I probably should have had 1/2 of each so I could try both kinds, guess who is having an apricot blintze in the morning.  This would make a great brunch food,or for a bridal or baby shower, yummy!

That's really all.  Brinner (Breakfast merging with dinner) took like 15 min to make and very delicious.  The 5 year old though is still being difficult and wouldn't eat.  She used to be much more adventurous however she was disturbed by the onions in her eggs and heaven only knows how something as delicious as a cherry cream cheese blintze couldn't appeal to her! More for us!!! 

Hope you can try them and enjoy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment