Happy Pinning!

Monday, July 18, 2011

Everything's better when we do it together!

 Today is about working together.  I am participating in another meal exchange with the ladies at my church.  This time we are trying to do marinated meats for grilling or slow cooker meals which are both great for summer when we frankly don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  I love doing this and it is much MUCH easier than doing it on your own.  Plus you get the bonus of getting new recipe/meal ideas from others! So here is how I do it:


Get all the supplies out on the counter

Here is a couple close ups because looking at ingredients laid out gets me excited like that, I am totally weird!!





For preparation, I would probably love to do all 6 of each kind at once but I did 3 today which takes up less space and I don't think I have 6 giant bowls for prep!


 And 2 hrs (and $100) later I had this:


Now we do it so we have 5 families in each group.  I round it out and do 6 so I have 2 of each of my meals.  One for later or if I want to have a meal in the freezer to give to someone.  So in the end I will have 12 meals and for $100 and 2 hrs of work I would say that is pretty excellent.

So my advice, if you want to make more interesting meals but find you can't do it as often as you want.  Find a group of friends to do a meal swap with.  And don't worry so much about those freezer cookbooks (which are nice, I have a few) but they aren't necessary.  Both of the meals I made come from my Betty Crocker recipe email and weren't intended as a freezer meal but most recipes are adjustable. So form a group and get a lot done in a little amount of time. Every thing is better when we do it together.

The same goes with exercise.  My church has a running group and I figured after 6 weeks I need not feel so intimidated so I decided to do it tonight. Well with a heat index of 102 degrees it was just husband and I being hosted by sweet Keri and Chris, Keri is one tough lady and one of my running inspirations.  She was just a turquoise blur far far ahead of us but there we were chugging up a hill that seemed like a mountain on a busy busy road, I am sure there is a high probability that someone we knew drove by and saw us struggling along but it was super fun.  And Keri's son sets up a little refreshment stand when we got back and the kids were playing and the husbands were doing manly things like cutting down trees.  It was much more fun then a normal boring track run, a lot harder but afterwards I didn't feel like I was going to die, my husband and I were just remarking how good it felt to sweat and exercise.  In fact the 6 weeks we have been running I have barely had any hip pain that I needed so much help with prior to this.  Huh? Go figure, you feel better when you exercise.  So find an exercise buddy or even a group.  There is strength in numbers people.  Cook with them, run with them, just enjoy adult interaction with them! It makes for a great day!

Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:25

No comments:

Post a Comment