Happy Pinning!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Who said healthy food had to be bland and plus size clothes had to be frumpy....


OK two pet peeves.  My mom and I went spring shopping last weekend and it bothered me so much (not that this was the first time) that this particular store had a really cute selection of clothes for the "Misses" and us bulkier chicks had to dig like archaeologists and turn our head sideways and squint our eyes to decide if something was cute or just barely not hideous because everything else in the store seemed so frumpy.  I don't understand why they can't just make the same clothes in just a bigger size.  Do larger women not want to be stylish too??? Heck we need all the help we can get!


I will let you guess which shirt was displayed at a major department store in the plus size and which was only available for misses!


This brings me to my next line of contention. Restaurants that offer "healthy" options and leave them tasteless.  I love cooking and nothing jazzes up flavor like calorie free spices and fresh herbs.  As a method of keeping myself on track in terms of eating I am using Weight Watchers and also trying to eat in a more clean organic method.  So I am currently living in a universe of points but these lovely flavor enhancements are generally point free and there are so many great things out there that add flavor to your food for at the most 1 pt.  So tonight's dinner is a perfect example.  We wanted to order out and knowing Applebee's carried Weight Watcher's meals I decided that was the easiest way for me to go.  I ordered the Spicy Pineapple Glazed Shrimp & Spinach with Rice. 




Truly part of my problem with was I am not a big fan of pepper and that was pretty much all they used on this dish.  Lovely yummy fresh ingredients and a boatload of pepper, so it definitely had a kick.  Maybe the chef at Applebee's is growing tired of cliche flavors like cumin and lime and cilantro or how about this one garlic.  Anything.  Nope all we had was pepper.  Like I said they called it spicy and spicy it was but it was definitely lacking.  So I took their 8 pt meal and gave it a 1 pt upgrade with a  great product called Honey Teriyaki Sauce from a fabulous little company called Tastefully Simple.  In my opinion a flick of my Tbsp took this meal from Drab Pepper Plate to Scrumptious and Shrimptastic!  I could have even done a 0 pt option, I am not too cool to stoop myself to likes of the cumin/lime/cilantro trifecta but this way was easier and I was really hungry!  


The moral of my little rant, if you own a clothing factory make plus size clothes cute and if you own a restaurant make healthy food flavorful (not just peppery!).  Thanks I feel much better now that I got that off my chest!

1 comment:

  1. For those who want really cute plus size clothes, the best location I have found is Roaman's (online), Avenue, Catherine's and Cato's. There is less squinting and more ooh but you still need to know your body style and what works best. Amanda I totally agree with you about department stores. I never shop in them anymore. Also, want to thank you for the idea I got while reading this post. I think I will carry a little bottle of zest in my purse for when I eat out. I am not a fan of pepper and sometimes the meals that use garlic are on over kill. I have also started ordering kid plates because the adult plates are way way too big.

    ReplyDelete