Happy Pinning!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

One fabulous grain, four fabulous ways!

OK the word of the day is Quinoa! Don't be embarrassed if you don't know this word, this word and I are still getting a little acquainted! If you haven't heard of this delicious teeny tiny grain before it's pronounced keen-wa and it is delish! I have been experimenting with recipes and am bringing you a few today. In fact I was going to post these recipes and when I went on Weight Watchers website today they had a feature article about quinoa, so I figured today must be the day to talk about quinoa (I really can't stop saying quinoa) they say:

Quinoa is high in protein and nutrients, tastes great, and is one of the fastest whole grains you can make. Add that it’s economical, and you’ve got a kitchen miracle in the making.  Quinoa has been called the “miracle grain” because it achieves the trifecta of culinary perfection: It’s nutritious, satisfying and easy to prepare. Best of all, you can make a bowl of cooked quinoa and store it in the fridge all week, a boon to many meals to come. A staple in South America for centuries, it should become one in your kitchen, too.

 
 Prior to starting this blog when I was still sharing recipes on facebook I shared my first attempt at quinoa which was this lovely gem:

 Quinoa with Sundried Tomatoes
from Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet

1 tsp olive oil
8 sundried tomatoes
2 minced shallots (I used about 1/3 of a sweet onion)
1 clove garlic minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup quinoa
pinch cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tsp sea salt
fresh ground pepper

place quinoa in mesh sieve and rinse well under water for about 1 min and set aside.

Heat oil in large saucepan, add tomatoes (I chopped up), onion, and garlic and saute until onion is softened. Add stock and bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa and cayenne pepper, return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 min or until liquid is absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork to separate grains. Stir in seasonings

We have really good friends that are Greek, so we consider ourselves Greek by association! I certainly love the food! This next one is for you Ya Ya. This recipe is also courtesy of Miss Tosca with a few embellishments from myself:

Quinoa Tabbouleh

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
Sea Salt
1/2 cup edamame frozen (ANOTHER FUN WORD TO SAY!!)
1 fresh tomato, chopped
1/2 cucumber, unpeeled, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
Fresh chives, minced
Fresh parsley, minced
Fresh thyme, minced
Fresh mint, minced
Feta cheese, olives, hummus, pita, turkey all make nice add ons for a full Mediterranean experience or to dress it up for a lunch!

Rinse quinoa well before using.  Combine quinoa, water and salt and boil in a medium saucepan and then reduce heat and simmer 20 min. Remove from heat.  Place frozen edamame on top of quinoa and let sit for 5 minutes.  Fluff with a fork.  Put all ingredients in a glass serving bowl and toss.  Add herbs, citrus juices and soy sauce and toss again.

Now maybe you aren't in the mood for Mediterranean, maybe you are having a little mexican/southwest flair to your dinner tonight, well baby, I got some more quinoa for you too!!! Again Tosca and me collaborated on this one (she just doesn't know it!, I really like her recipes but sometimes I don't leave well enough alone!)  We had this one for dinner tonight YUMMY!!!!!!! We put it on fajitas and had it with black bean salsa!

Quinoa Pilaf



1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion
2 cups quinoa (well rinsed and drained)
1 3/4 cups chicken stock
1 tsp lime zest
colored peppers diced
2 tsp cilantro, chopped
2 tsp parsley, chopped
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp fresh lime juice
sea salt and ground pepper
1 tsp cumin
4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
1/2 cup favorite salsa

Put olive oil in skillet, add onion and cook until soft. Add quinoa and cook 5 min.  Add stock, lime zest and vegetables.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and let cook, covered, for 20 min until quinoa becomes translucent.  That's when you know it's done.  Remove from heat, stir in salsa and let stand 10 min.  Fluff with fork and add cilantro, parsley, and citrus juices.  Season with sea salt, pepper and cumin. Garnish with chopped green onion. 

OK I know what you thinking Quinoa overload, we can't take any more!! I am sorry I have one more. I found this recipe today on Weight Watchers in their article and it looks so good I am sharing it even before I try it! I am putting it on my list for as soon as possible, my girls go crazy for this nutty little grain and I love it to! Hope this one is as good as it sounds maybe for an asian night? 

Orange Cilantro Quinoa Saute

2 cup(s) water   
1/4 tsp table salt   
1 cup(s) uncooked quinoa, rinsed thoroughly   
1 Tbsp olive oil   
1 cup(s) carrot(s), shredded   
1/2 cup(s) scallion(s), sliced   
2 tsp ginger root, freshly grated   
1/2 cup(s) orange juice, fresh   
1/3 cup(s) cilantro, fresh, chopped   

Bring water and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add quinoa; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until quinoa is translucent and tender, about 15 to 17 minutes. Drain off any remaining liquid.

While quinoa cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot, scallions and ginger; cook over medium heat, stirring, until carrots are crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Stir in quinoa; cook, stirring, until well mixed.

Remove from heat; stir in orange juice and cilantro and serve. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.

I hope I didn't overdo it and I hope you enjoy this nutty little grain as much as we do, say it with me everyone....Quinoa!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ohh, good job. Looking forward to cooking some up when I get back. I wonder if I will be served up some while I'm in Argentina. Anyways love the inspiration. I'm proud of your efforts and do good while I'm gone. I've been preoccupied alot this week, haven't had a lot of time to chat, but I will wish you the best and pray for us both while I'm gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right, I will buy quinoa at the store today... I've never had it but you have inspired me. Sounds like a nice change from rice!

    ReplyDelete