Happy Pinning!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Two for the price of one!!

Today is just a quick entry to show you how today I am taking one lovely little premade item from the grocery store and turning it into lunch AND dinner!  First I usually opt for the healthier skin off variety of chicken but every so often that skin is just super yummy.  So I like to pop over to the friendly deli-counter of my local grocery store and get one of these


Then I get my sou chef Craig to remove all the meat from the bones and put it in a bowl for me. Thanks honey! Men really love it when you give them a job you know and my husband is much more meticulous then I am at a job like this and something like removing meat from bones seems like a savage "man's job".  Gasp! I may have just set the women's movement back 20 years!  Oh well, it's one of the jobs I delegate to him.  Then from there I seperate the meat into two equal bowls.  From bowl one I created our lunch today....

Curried Chicken Salad with Naan
From Cooking Light's Dinner Tonight Cookbook
4 servings, 1 serving (including bread 12 WW pts)

 

Ingredients

  • 6  tablespoons  reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 1/2  teaspoon  grated orange rind
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons  orange juice
  • 1  teaspoon  curry powder
  • 1/2  teaspoon  grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 2 1/2  cups  diced roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 3/4 pound)
  • 3/4  cup  seedless green grapes, halved
  • 1/4  cup  diced dried apricots
  • 1/4  cup  thinly sliced green onions
  • 2  tablespoons  chopped unsalted cashews
  • 1  tablespoon  chopped fresh parsley
  • 4  (6-inch) naan breads
  • 3  cups  trimmed watercress

Preparation

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add chicken and next 5 ingredients (through parsley) to mayonnaise mixture, tossing to coat.
Heat naan according to the package directions, if desired.
Spoon about 3/4 cup chicken mixture onto each naan. Top with 3/4 cup watercress; fold over.

It was mega delicious! Chicken salad favorites with an indian flair!
Now to use the other bowl with the other half of the chicken and think about dinner....

Chicken and Gruyère Turnovers
from Real Simple magazine (with some adaptations by yours truly)
makes 4 servings (also 12 pts each)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
  • 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyère (Ok I couldn't find Gruyere and honestly I think there are enough yummy cheeses out there you can substitute any of your own preferences, I am doing cream cheese and havarti in ours!)
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • sheets (one 17.25-ounce package) frozen puff pastry, thawed (I went to two different Meijers, the first had the little puff pastry cups, the second had nothing, then I thought I would take reduced fat crescent rolls and make my own little pockets and it would save on fat and calories that way! So mine will be made with reduced fat crescents, 8/tube, 2/pocket)
  • large egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard (I will use horseradish mustard for Craig and I but the girls aren't mustard fans so I will have to find something else for them!)

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 400° F. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, Gruyère, and peas.
  2. Cut the 2 sheets of puff pastry in half to form 4 rectangles and place on a baking sheet. Dividing evenly, top half of each rectangle with the chicken mixture. Fold over and seal the turnovers; brush the tops with the egg. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with the mustard.
I am making an often overlooked grain to go with our fancy hot pockets, I will let you know how it all turns out. I have to save something for tomorrow... The chicken salad was super yummy though so I am excited to have more of that! Enjoy the rest of your Saturday everyone and get yourself a rotisserie and experiement with new ways to use it!

1 comment: