Happy Pinning!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Is it thanksgiving yet??

So a couple of weekends ago my Mom and Sister and I had a girls scrapbook weekend.  I thought I would treat them to a special treat.  My Ode to Thanksgiving Prelude meal.  It is so yummy and wonderful and I always feel fancy when I make it so it's especially good to make for loved ones.  I think it will be a LONG time before I am in the position, house, etc to make me able to be the Thanksgiving hostess so I love this meal because I feel like I am doing a Thanksgiving day spread but I am able to easily pull it off myself.  I went from the Pampered Chef Turkey and Cranberry wreath recipe and I started improvising and adding and I was inspired by a meal I had at a fall wedding to create my own special "gravy".  I love this recipe so much, I hope you will try it and love it too....

Amanda's Ode to Thanksgiving Prelude


1 pkg cream cheese
4 tbsp softed butter
2 pkg. refrigerated crescent rolls
1/2 C. mayonnaise
1 T. honey Dijon mustard
½ tsp coarsely ground pepper
2 C. cooked turkey, chopped (I buy a thick ½ in slice from the deli counter and cut it in chunks)
½ cup celery sliced
½ cup dried cherries
2 chopped apples
3 T fresh parsley
4 oz provolone/mozzarella shredded cheese
1 egg

Hollandaise Gravy:
Hollandaise packet
Cinnamon and brown sugar and apple pie spice
Milk and butter

Also for serving: Mashed potatoes, Stuffing, Meijers Cranberry Sauce (it's the best!)


Preheat oven to 375

Unroll dough, separate into 16 triangles.  With wide ends of triangles toward the center.  Arrange 8 triangles in a circle on large round stone.  Corners of wide ends will touch and points will extend 1 inch beyond of baking stone.  Arrange remaining 8 triangles in center matching ends.  Seal seams using pizza roller.   Points will overlap in center, do not seal. You can also do this in a straight braid but the wreath is good for serving/entertainment and I will tell you why in a moment...

Blend cream cheese and 4 Tbsp butter until creamy.  Add mayo, mustard and black pepper into the bowl.  Add shredded cheese into the bowl.  Mix filling by adding turkey, celery, cherries and apples and parsley.  Scoop filling over seams of dough, forming a circle. 

Beginning in center lift one dough triangle across mixture continue alternating with outer triangles, slightly overlapping to form wreath.  Tuck last end under first.

Separate egg over bowl.  Beat egg white lightly; brush over dough.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.  (Ok I don't know how Pampered Chef predicts 30 min, we usually do 45 min and the bottom can still be doughy so watch this and alter as needed!)

Hollandaise gravy; I literally took a packet of hollandaise, followed the directions but added 3 T brown sugar and sprinkled in cinnamon (about 2 tsp) and apple pie spice (1 tsp)

Make with stuffing and mashed potatoes (for easy "mashed"  potatoes I boiled red skins with skin on and then drain and add 1/2 to a full stick of butter and garlic salt and smash) (For stuffing I start with a box of stove top and I add extra celery, dried cherries and chopped apples and onion and saute and add to prepared stuffing, fancies it up a little!)
As an homage to thanksgiving, serve pretty for guests with potatoes and stuffing in center of wreath.  Hollandaise drizzled a la gravy.  Cherries, apples, and cinnamon flavors of fall mixing with the turkey make it a wonderful fall preview.  Also serve Meijers cranberry relish on the side. 

Seriously people make this for someone today! You will love all the oohs and aahs! Be prepared for food coma to set in shortly afterwards though....

No comments:

Post a Comment