Happy Pinning!

Friday, September 9, 2011

More Peaches!

Ok so maybe I am not as cheery today as usually on Fridays.  Truth is I gained some weight. I haven't been doing what I need to do for success which is count points so as bad as a weigh-in like today feels it just reminds me if you want that good feeling from weight loss you need to keep up your end of the bargain and count your points.  I also need to keep up with the running!! I feel much better when I get at least 3 in a week, last 3-4 weeks we have been only getting in 2.  Yup slacking.  So back on track today and looking forward to another good week.  (I am saying extra positive words because I am still bumming and figure the more I talk and think positive the more I will stop wallowing and get moving!)

OK we had some really yummy chicken the other night and lest you think that we dared to eat a meal that didn't involve peaches, don't worry we paired the chicken with broccoli and peach jello with 3 peaches chopped into it.  Yummy I love peach jello, it's my favorite jello!

Buffalo Ranch Chicken
Marinade:
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 TBS paprika
2 TBS hot sauce (or more or less depending on how spicy you want it)
3-4 chicken breasts


To cook: grill or broil 5-7 minutes each side
add ranch dressing (or blue cheese dressing - I am more of a traditionalist with buffalo stuff so I used this, the kids opted for ranch), a few drops of hot sauce (adults only!)  and Gorgonzola or Blue Cheese to the top of each piece of chicken and cook until the cheese melts!

I really like this because it is easy to customize. For instance, my husband likes his with more hot sauce and cheese than I do and I usually just put ranch dressing on top of the kids’.
(Gorgonzola cheese is pretty much a milder Blue cheese so the kids may like it better, my kids as you know by now are weird and gobble up blue cheese)


My husband and my kids all loved this, me too!!! I am a HUGE buffalo fan.  You could throw it in a bun with lettuce and tomato and you have buffalo chicken sandwich or cut it up and put it in a wrap.  Great this way too though, less carbs doesn't hurt!

OK now on to peaches...

So I know I told you I wanted to taste test everything before I gave you the recipe so I have a few more for you!

Freezer Jam
Rather than regurgitate the recipe right here I will just tell you a few things I learned, when you buy Sure-Jell from the store (in a box with canning supplies) inside the box is a paper that tells you exactly how to make Freezer Jam for every single type of fruit.  I will probably try different fruits too. It wasn't perfect. Even though I measured everything exactly my second batch didn't seem to set up as much as it should.  I still put some on toast this morning and it is DELIGHTFUL!!! But a little drippy! It would make a good ice cream topping too since it's a little "looser".  Anyways the other advice I would say is have A LOT of sugar on hand.  These 8 jars were 2 batches and took 9 cups of sugar! Yikes! Good thing you only need a Tbsp to make a delicious piece of toast!! 

Next!

I have been making this one for years so I don't need to taste test it before I share it! This is the original version...

Bruschetta with Peach Salsa and Melted Brie



Ingredients

  • 2 cups chopped peeled peaches (about 4)
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper (about 1)
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • Dash of ground red pepper
  • 1 (8-ounce) French bread baguette, cut into 24 slices
  • 4 ounces chilled Brie cheese, cut into 24 pieces

Preparation

  • Preheat broiler.
  • Combine first 7 ingredients; set aside.
  • Arrange bread slices in an even layer on a baking sheet. Top each bread slice with 1 piece of cheese; broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts and bread is toasted. Remove pan from oven. Top each bread slice with about 1 1/2 tablespoons salsa; serve immediately
This beauty is from Cooking Light magazine also, 2 slices 3 pts.  Now back in the day my Mom's friend Sue (Love you Sue) came up with a yummy easy way to eat chicken.  Marinade in Lawry's Lemon Pepper and grill and then right before it's finished you melt a piece of provolone on the chicken.  We had this all the time when I was growing up, it was so yummy.  My dad is the most amazing grill master too (love you Daddy!) So I was a big fan of this peach salsa so I thought, what if you grill a chicken breast, melt some provolone cheese on it (I wasn't really sure about using brie on the grill) and then top with the peach salsa.  So good.  So I made a big double batch of this peach salsa and put them in freezer bags so I can either have a yummy app or yummy entree at a moments notice!

Last one for today:

Peach Raspberry Sorbet
Ingredients:
  • 6 medium, ripe peaches (about 2.25 pounds)
  • 6 ounces fresh raspberries (one small container)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup water
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
Instructions:
  1. Peel and slice peaches into cubes.
  2. Combine peaches, raw sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook on medium heat for a little over 10 minutes, until peaches are soft.
  3. Remove the peach mixture from heat and let cool, stirring occasionally.
  4. In the meantime, purée the raspberries in your blender. Filter out the seeds by pouring the raspberry purée through a fine mesh colander. Press the liquid through the colander with the back of a big spoon or spatula, and discard the seeds. (I skipped this step, I figured I wouldn't mind having a little seeds in my sorbet!)  
  5. Once the peaches have cooled, combine the raspberry purée and peach mixture in the blender. Blend until smooth, and chill the mixture in the fridge.
  6. Follow your ice cream maker’s instructions. Enjoy!
This is light and refreshing.  I love any chance to use our ice cream maker!

So a few more peach ideas to add to the arsenal, I hope you aren't completely sick of peaches yet because we have more yet to come.  Peachapalooza 2011 is still going strong...

 

1 comment:

  1. When I was growing up, my mom used to make peach jam and hers was always a bit runny/looser than the fruits she did. I always wondered if making more of a marmalade would have been better. :) Similar to this recipe... http://www.mrfood.com/Fruit-Recipes/Peach-Marmalade-677#

    Everything sounds delightful. I might have to try that chicken sometime with ranch and not bleu cheese(yuck!).

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete