Happy Pinning!

Friday, September 2, 2011

Labor Day weekend!

 Blessed are all who fear the LORD,
   who walk in obedience to him.
You will eat the fruit of your labor;
   blessings and prosperity will be yours. Psalm 128:1-2

It's Labor Day weekend, I thought I would start things off with a verse about how walking with God in obedience and fear allows us to reap what we sow and how fitting that there is a reference to the fruits of our labor.  There are weeks that I feel so low still, like I am not going to get through, I have an all out pity party about how difficult it is for me to deal with this enormous mountain in front of me. But He has been so faithful to reward me with success as I plod along ever unsure of my steps, stretching my faith to be sure in His.  I lost another 1.7 lbs this week, I am at a total loss of 31.9 lbs.  I can hardly believe it! This was supposed to be such a hard week, I ate a lot of junk last weekend and even this week I struggled to keep things in check. And finding the time for running has been challenging as well and I have only been able to get out there twice this week.  But everyday I worked at logging my food (even when I was afraid of what I might find!) Labor Day is a holiday that rewards most of us a day off from our labors, a well deserved break and so fitting I think that it happens right at the end of summer. And how wonderful the promise attached with this verse.  I hope you all find a way this weekend to "eat the fruit of your labor" relax, do something you love and be proud of who you are and what you accomplish.  Speaking of fruit...I made a rather elaborate holiday weekend breakfast for my family today that highlighted one of my favorite fruits...the peach!

Stay tuned for an upcoming blog entry all about this gorgeous creature! This morning we had:

Grilled Balsamic-Glazed Peaches
adapted from Southern Living Magazine

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 6 firm, ripe peaches, halved
  • Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 2 to 3 minutes.
  • Place peaches in a shallow dish. Pour vinegar mixture over peaches, tossing gently to coat. Let stand 10 minutes.
  • Remove peaches from vinegar mixture
  • Place peach halves, cut sides down, on a grill pan.

  •  Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium heat (300° to 350°) 5 minutes on each side or until firm and golden

Top with whipped cream (lite) and a little drizzle of syrup (sugar free), Yum yum!  3 pts for 2 halves including topping!
I think these make a perfect dessert option too, you could do ice cream instead of whipped topping.  Or they would be good as a side dish with pork tenderloin, just drizzle with the remaining balsamic vinegar and a tsp of olive oil!! Yummy!

We also had...
I grew up eating Eckrich Farms Smoky Links, and I am not going to lie, I miss them a little bit but they are 5 pts for 2, these are 2 pts for 2.  Much better!!

And my hubby made (with a little help and bossiness from me!):

Herb and Brie Omelets
Betty Crocker

2 large eggs
1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
1 Tbsp fresh chopped Thyme
2 Tbsp milk
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic salt
dash pepper
1 oz brie cheese, rind removed and sliced
 Chop herbs, these are the ones I grow, feel free to alternate! Whisk herbs, milk, salts and pepper and eggs.  Pour into skillet (sprayed with cooking spray) and let cook undisturbed until set. Add slices of brie and fold over.  Cover with lid for an additional 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted, eat immediately.  The whole omelet is 7 pts however with the sausage and the grilled peaches it was too rich for me to eat the whole thing so I ate 2/3 (5 pts) which is great because the extra 1/3 is a good portion for a little one! So my breakfast 5 + 2 + 3 = 10 pts.  More than usual for breakfast but this was a super celebratory holiday breakfast and it is weigh in day!
I hope you all have a wonderful labor day weekend with your families and friends.  I hope you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor! I hope you feel blessed! I am off to swim in my parents pool, doesn't get much better than that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment