Happy Pinning!

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Day thoughts...

I love my husband, he tries so hard and sometimes even when he crashes and burns it is so evident that it truly is the thought that counts.  This morning he wanted to make me breakfast in bed since we have to leave for church tomorrow at 7:45 am, yikes.  So hey, you want to make me breakfast in bed I won't complain! I hinted that we still had the makings for this yummy Cannoli French Toast I gave you here.  So he went down to work on it this morning at 7:45 and I blissfully drifted back off to sleep.  My kids had a Dr. appointment at 9:45 am and I woke back up at 9:15, "Honey, I am not quite finished with breakfast, could you get the girls dressed for the Dr." Ummmm wait what time is it, how can you not be done after 1 1/2 hrs! So I got the kids ready and hurried down to inspect.  Let's just say that the french toast looked slightly more, um, masculine then mine.  They were all smashed and falling apart in the pan.  "Sweetie why don't you go hop in the shower and I will take over from here." He hustled and got ready, I gently restored the food, cooked up some sausage and plated it up with all the finesse and flair that comes with being a girl.  And I was smiling to myself the whole time.  Oh how he tries...He came down all stressed because now they had to leave and no one had time to eat (except me!) and he would just have to heat up the food when they got back.  "I can't believe I screwed this up again!" he remarked as he hustled out the door.  Are you kidding me? I get peace and quiet to eat my so delicious breakfast (it doesn't in fact matter if it is kind of squished, it still tastes incredible).  I DON'T have to take the kids to the Dr's for a change as he generously volunteered.  I got to sleep in blissfully unaware of the time and how he was perhaps struggling.  And I got a very nice little reminder that sometimes what we do in the kitchen seems silly or unnecessary or easy.  But it's not easy for everyone and when we handle it with ease and a good attitude doing the little touches to add something special to our family it must count for something.  That is a perfect Mother's Day reminder. 

As both of my girls are headed off to the Dr's you probably deduced that they aren't feeling too well.  My early riser, the 2 year old, didn't wake until I woke her up at 9:15 this morning if that says anything.   My 5 year old was distraught yesterday because she said she had an ear infection, nice now she is diagnosing herself.  When your kids are sick you are also reminded of the importance of the Mothering role.  Who do kids ask for when they are sick, Mommy.  Sorry but Dad's can't touch the draw of being Mom when the little ones don't feel well.  Or maybe they just don't mind abdicating that role.  Yesterday my 5 year old after diagnosing her earache was wailing for her Mom.  So I did what my Momma used to do to me.  I tucked her in my bed, I gave her some medicine, I opened the window by the bed so the fresh Spring air was drafting in, I gave her food to eat and then I laid down and read her from our latest chapter book.  She snuggled into me as I read and said "Momma you are the best Momma, thank you for making me feel better."  Well my friends it doesn't get much better than that. No matter how difficult and exhausting it gets some days, at the end of the day when you know you made a difference in their life and loved and cared for them the way no one else can that is what is most important. 

Nothing in this life so far has given me greater satisfaction then my role as a Mother, not even graduating from college with my Master's degree.  And I couldn't be the Mom I am without all the wonderful examples I have witnessed. I have a lot of great Mom role models in my life, of course my own Mom is number one, she can't be touched.  My two sisters are also so inspirational, in each of their own ways they do amazing things to care for their families.  My Mother in law has always held a special place in the list since I met her, she loves her boys and she loves her daughter in laws, and mostly she is much more than my Mother-in-law but really a dear dear friend.  I have watched countless friends face trials with courage and conviction as they handle their role of Mothering with grace and poise.  Really there are too many to list, you know who you are.  Thank you for all you have taught me and helped to make me the Mother I am.

These two pics are from Mother's Day 2 years ago when my little one was being dedicated at church.  My oldest sister couldn't make it but hey 3 out of 4 of the top 4 is not bad! Aren't I so lucky???

 


What a nice looking group!

Well the next few days I am supposed to get a break from cooking but after watching this morning unfold I am sure I will hold firm to my supervisor position and at least hover and make sure things are done to my satisfaction.  What can I say I like to have creative control!  Happy Mother's Day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. It doesn't get much better than that does it honey. And I learned how to take care of sick kids from my mother. She was so wonderful when we were sick, it's good to pass on generational goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw this one. I think you are a great Mama and that your Craig is such a sweet guy. Love all around.

    ReplyDelete