Happy Pinning!

Friday, May 6, 2011

Happy Feet!

Happy weigh-in day! I weighed in three times this morning and got three different results.  So much for the reliability of my scale!  The first one said I hadn't lost anything.  Boo, so waited an hour and tried again.  Then it said like 3 lbs.  I doubted that one very much so I waited again.  Drank some water, used the ladies room and I got a 1/2 a pound.  Hmmmm....that sounds a bit right, I am going with that one.  (Don't think I wasn't tempted to go with the 3 lb measure but my mind I knew it wasn't that awesome.)  Nice thing is none of the measures were up! 

So thanks to last nights support to my post I have been encouraged to form a group page on FB and so I did! I hope you will invite your friends to join.  I picked the ladies that I thought might be interested due to previous interest, love of cooking, commitment to health, etc.  If I missed you on the invite list it's just because I didn't know if you would be interested but please join in, the more the merrier!

Today I am going to talk a little about a health issue I struggle with...

What about this weather in West Michigan!??! Gorgeous.  What does warm weather bring? 

Bare Feet!


Combine this new crop of bare feet or people who wear flimsy flip flops (basically bare feet) or all you ladies who walk around in these on a regular basis...


I have never been one to wear these and when I became a PT I became even more convinced they are evil created by a sadist and I was making the right decision.  (OK maybe not, the problem is when you don't wear them in moderation, but as for me I know I will never get on the high heel bandwagon!)  I don't care how pretty they are, they are just not right! Sorry to all you Carrie Bradshaw fans out there, I guess there is no hope of me being a NYC fashionista!

Anyways, if you participate in any of the above shoe wear (or lack there of) you may have some foot pain that you are struggling with.  I personally have struggled on and off with Plantar Fascitis for years.  I have very high arches which make me very likely to get this condition.   Then I moved into a house with top-to-bottom hardwood floors or hard ceramic tile.  If I dare try cooking or cleaning barefoot I am hobbling around very soon after.  Along with the ever popular heel pain/plantar fascitis diagnosis there are arthritis, neuromas, trauma, infection, skin conditions, just to name a few.  So how do we need to prepare for the summer months of exposed feet.   The American Podiatric Medical Association offers these tried and true tips. 

1. Always wear your shoes until bedtime Don't wear just thin slippers or socks or go barefoot.  Even flip flops with a cushioned/supportive sole are better than barefoot!

2. Before bed try gentle barefoot calf stretches for 20-30 sec on each leg.  Here are a few of my favorites...



3. Buy and maintain good shoes for walking and exercising and replace them regularly.  In addition if you are really struggling with foot pain you may need an orthotic in your shoe.  Sometimes it is as simple as a over the counter Dr. Scholls model but other times the gait abnormality is great enough that you will need custom orthotics.  If you are wondering some pharmacies have machines that you stand on that recommend a Dr. Scholl's insert or if you would like a gait analysis (and you live in West Mi) visit a store like Gazelle Sports or Strider's and they will do an assessment and recommend both shoes and inserts tailored to your foot and fitness needs.

4. Stretch your foot and your Achilles tendon after exercising.  (See above)

Additional suggestions: If you are struggling with pain in your foot.  Try icing after exercise or in the evenings with a frozen bottle of water and rolling it in your arch like this: 

Slowly roll it from the heel to your toes. Do this for about 10-15 minutes a few times a day.
Also take your thumb and aggressively massage the arch of your foot (or even better get your spouse to do it for you!) If you are they feel crunchy, gravely, snap-crackle-pop Rice Krispie feelings in your arch you likely have a case of Plantar Fascitis and what you are feeling is scar tissue.  Massaging it aggressively every day to break that "stuff" up is a good plan, but some people don't enjoy it (I personally love it but I am weird like that!)

Beyond that if you are still struggling in addition to these techniques for calming things down you may also need exercises to strengthen your feet and ankles. Balance exercises especially on uneven, unstable surfaces or standing on one leg will challenge the muscles of the feet.  Perhaps we will talk about this soon but as always if you need additional help please contact your physician for a full evaluation of the problem.   So have a great day everyone, I hope you all can start the spring season with Happy Feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment