Happy Pinning!

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

A delightful spring salad

Hey everybody!!! Long time no blog! I have a lot on my plate with 4 crazy busy kids and it's practically impossible to wrap my mind around the fact that before I know it Jack will be one!!! I have had a few things I wanted to share with you all the last few months so I am going to take baby steps back into the blogging pool and share a delicious recipe with you.  I have been making this for years and made it again this Easter in an effort to make sure I had something healthy and delicious I volunteered to bring the vegetable.  This is photocopied out of a cookbook, I got it from my mom YEARS ago but I don't even know what cookbook it is from to give credit! I of course always tweek things a little because I am always bad about leaving things alone.

Wild Rice Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
 
 
1 cup chicken broth
1 box of quick cooking wild rice pilaf
4 cups broccoli
1 bundle of asparagus spears cut into 1 inch strips
1 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup chopped or shredded carrots
Basil Vinaigrette
Basil sprigs
Feta cheese
Pine Nuts

Prepare wild rice with chicken broth and butter per directions on the box. Set aside.  Lightly steam both broccoli and asparagus until just tender and let cool.  Combine rice, cooked veges and carrots and tomatoes in a large bowl. Add prepared vinaigrette and toss gently. Garnish with sprigs of basil, more feta and pine nuts. 
 
Fresh Basil Vinaigrette
 
2 Tbsp minced fresh basil
4 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese
4 Tbsp white wine vinegar
4 Tbsp olive oil
4 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp italian seasoning


This recipe is seriously yummy! I made a huge double batch and I had lots of leftovers and ate it over the next 3 days! It's a perfect spring recipe, you need to add it to your next menu plan! I will keep it short tonight and leave you with this face, she LOVES broccoli and this salad was a big hit with her!


No comments:

Post a Comment