Happy Pinning!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

I am tired so I am going to try to make this quick!!

Not feeling real witty tonight (some of you may not ever find me too witty so maybe you won't notice) but I am happy.  My hubby and I just ran 2.5 miles in 32 min.  Just cracks me up that when I started this I was so tired at the 1 min running intervals!!! But since my calf (just the left one) felt like it was dying a sad slow death around mile 2 I can't imagine 26 miles, you go Marathoners!!! I have two recipes to share still from vacation but they were so good I don't want to miss them and I have the new menu plan to reveal and a yummy snack to review. Whew, I am tired just thinking about it. Those bloggers who do this everyday, well, I give them credit!

OK first recipe! Fire up your crock pots because Old Betty has done it again! I have about 9 different ways I make roasted pork in the crockpot but this new addition from Betty Crocker has a Caribbean twist!

Caribbean Pork Tacos

1 lb boneless pork shoulder roast
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
1 can crushed pineapple tidbits in juice
2 tsp lime juice
zest of one lime
1 tsp Mrs Dash's Caribbean Citrus seasoning
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup cilantro minced
1 tsp garlic salt
pkg of corn tortillas (as pictured ala Betty) or I used 10 whole wheat tortillas
any toppings you would like ie lettuce, tomato, avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese

I used this as the other one of my freezer meals too by the way. I took the first 9 ingredients and threw them in a bag and froze it, then when you want to eat, thaw, throw it in the crockpot and cook for 8 hrs.  They were yummy!!! 10 servings, 5 pts (not counting toppings so use fat free sour cream and cheese if you must!)

NEXT!!

Honestly don't remember where I found this nugget! Whoops but it's a good one and I will tell you something else it stretched into another meal!! Watch this...

Teriyaki Burgers with homemade Pineapple Mango Salsa and Teriyaki sauce


We were making this for a bigger group on vacation so I made 12 burgers!
For the burgers:
3 lbs. ground sirloin
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1Tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 Tbsp. salt
½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
3-4 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
To make the burgers, prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat.  In a large bowl, mix together the beef, yellow onion, garlic, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Form the mixture into 12 patties, each about ¾-inch thick.
When the grill is heated, cook the hamburgers directly over medium-high heat, turning once, 3 -5 minutes per side. Check for doneness by cutting into a hamburger near the center or testing with an instant-read thermometer. No pink should show on the inside, and the internal temperature should register at least 160°F on an instant-read thermometer.  A few minutes before the burgers are done cooking, grill the buns just until lightly brown and toasted.
OK I admit it we added cheese! 1 slice colby jack to each! Trust me they didn't need it! With a whole wheat bun and cheese (before toppings - just wait) 11 pts.  When I make them again, I will take mine open face sans bun and cheese!!! The flavor is all in the toppings.  So before I left on vacation I made the teriyaki sauce (yeah for my Magic Bullet!!) and the salsa ahead of time and I even froze the salsa!! They are both 1 pt each and so the whole burger was 13 pts (hey it was vacation and it's still better than a whopper!), like I said if I did it again without the bun and cheese you save 5 pts!! That makes it only 8 pts!!! Way worth that.  Here is how you make the teriyaki sauce...
For the sauce:
1 1/2 cup fresh chopped pineapple
½ cup low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp minced ginger
3 tbsp. brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp. vinegar (apple cider or rice vinegar)
½ tsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. cold water
To make the sauce, combine the pineapple, soy sauce, ginger, brown sugar, garlic, vinegar and sesame oil in a blender or food processor.  Puree until smooth and well blended.  Transfer the mixture to a medium saucepan.  Warm over medium-high heat until bubbly, about 1-2 minutes.  In a small prep bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water until smooth.  Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan and stir until well incorporated.  Continue heating the sauce, stirring constantly, until the mixture bubbles and thickens.  Remove from the heat and set aside.
And the salsa (freezes beautifully)
1 mango, diced
1½ cups diced fresh pineapple
 1 red bell pepper, diced small
1/2 cup scallions finely diced
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
Juice of one lime and zest
Pinch of coarse salt
To make the salsa, combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl.  Toss to mix well.  Cover and refrigerate, allowing flavors to blend while you prepare the sauce and burgers.
To serve, place a hamburger patty on each of the buns.  Top with teriyaki sauce and garnish with mango-pineapple salsa.  Replace the top bun to form a sandwich and serve immediately.
So here is the trick, we all used plentiful portions of the sauce and salsa on our burgers and still ended up with tons leftover.  So I being slightly the evil genius that I am, recycled them.  When we got home, I took 6 chicken breasts and marinated them in the leftover teriyaki sauce and baked them and then served them with a handsome scoop of the salsa on top! Wah-la, teriyaki meal 2.0!!! (I get excited about these things but then again I may be odd.)
OK so you have to try at least one of those or both, they were really good!
Next snack time.  I have always loved me some Skinny Cow  ice cream sandwiches (my two year old says "I sceem", it is so adorable if I do say so myself), right now I have been digging on the Strawberry Shortcake ones!! So they just came out with new snacks...

I had the milk chocolate clusters tonight, 2 pts and so delicious, I felt like I was getting away with something.  Someone at work had a sample box and coupons so I got all four flavors to try.  I may be dieting but I still need a regular dose of chocolate and if I can find stuff that tastes that good for that few pts, I am a fan! Thanks skinny cow!

OK so much for this going quick, one more thing, I like to do a menu preview, gets your salivary glands working, gives you a little motivation to tune in (hopefully!). Here is what I have planned for the near future...

1. Greek Flank Steak Pinwheels with Pull apart bread and a salad
2. Creamy Tortellini with Ham and Bruscetta (I have got to use all my tomatoes, I have tomatoes coming out my eyeballs!)
3. Buffalo Ranch Chicken with broccoli and peach jello (Oh how I love peach jello!)
4. Louisiana BBQ Shrimp and Rice with Mini Crab Cakes and horsey sauce
5. Herb and Brie Omelet, Chicken Sausages and Balsamic glazed grilled peaches
6. Pizza Margherita and Chicken Ranch Bites
7. Chicken and black bean Taquitos, Stuffed Portabellas and homemade guac/pita chips

OK I am hungry now, stink, hopefully water can stop me from eating something this late! Thanks everyone for your support.  I also had an exciting thing happen today that may be a really cool development in my life, I hope it pans out so I can share with you.... (There's a little suspense for you!) Ugh it's so late now, off to shower and bed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment