Happy Pinning!

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Baby don't you cry, gonna make a pie...

I came across this recipe this week thanks to my daily email from Hungry Girl.  She takes a commonly eaten item from a restaurant and makes a guilt free version.   This week she was making over peanut butter pie and the average peanut butter pie would be about 15 pts by her calculation and her version is only 4, I was in charge of bringing the treat to book club this week so based on her glowing review it didn't take me long to be sold on the idea.  I think there is always a little trepidation of whether the food is going to taste "diet" and give a lack luster performance especially when you have never made it before but I thought this was quite yummy and it was especially good to know you knew exactly how many points the dessert was!

Freezy Downside Up PB Dream Pie

Ingredients:1/2 cup reduced-fat creamy peanut butter, room temperature
Half an 8-oz. tub fat-free cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup light vanilla soymilk or unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze
1 cup Cool Whip Free, thawed
2 sheets (8 crackers) low-fat honey graham crackers, crushed
Optional topping: Fat Free Reddi-wip
Directions:Place peanut butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Using an electric hand mixer set to medium speed, mix until smooth and uniform.

Add powdered sugar to the bowl. Set the mixer to low speed, and mix well. Add soymilk and continue to mix until smooth.

Gently fold in whipped topping, until uniform in color.

Carefully transfer the filling into a pie pan. Evenly top with crushed graham crackers. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.

Cut into 8 slices and, if you like, top with Reddi-wip. Enjoy!

MAKES 8 SERVINGS, 4 pts each

A little advice mine was no where near frozen after 3 hrs so I would not cut it too close!

Now here is the story with me and pie, for some reason pie crusts freak me out, store bought just taste so-so to me and therefore I hardly ever make pie so a pie that doesn't require baking and no crust was right up my alley.  I don't know what it is with me and baking! Too precise I guess, I am quite obviously someone who likes to ad lib if you hadn't noticed and with baking if your measures are off or your altitude or you attitude or whatever, disaster could strike. 

Random Cute Pie reference, I saw the movie Waitress not too long ago, I am a big Keri Russell fan and I thought the movie was cute but not like great or anything but I did love the pie theme, she creates a gagillion pies and she sings a cute pie song:

So now you all have something sweet to hum when you make a pie! Enjoy the creamy goodness of this cold peanut buttery treat and tomorrow I'll share some Italian yumminess with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment