Happy Pinning!

Friday, May 11, 2012

Buenas Noches

My third (and last) installment of the Cinco de Mayo series was an old favorite, with a pineapple twist!

I gave you one of my hands-down favorite recipes last summer on this post here.  These sweet pork tacos are my favorite but they were always so messy.  Hmmmm.....what to do?

Sweet and Tangy Pork Sandwiches


The only things I changed from the original recipe was I added crushed pineapple in juice (about 1/2 cup) to the slaw and lime zest in the slaw.  Then instead of chunked avocado I made guacamole as a condiment. 

I loaded it like this....

Guac and slaw on one side, sweet and tangy pork on the other and stack em up.  Now here is where the magic happens, the thick and fluffy bun soaks up all that glorious juice from the meat.  Where the tortilla got soaked and sort of fell apart resulting in dripping mess everywhere (granted it was worth it) the bun significantly reduced the mess.  It was kind of like a Mexican Sloppy Joe.  It was so good.  And the slaw I always felt was missing something, the pineapple added the perfect sweetness. Made it good enough to eat as a stand alone slaw.  These are so good, if you have made them before with tortillas you need to make the switch.  Our 5lb roast we split in half and froze half and we still had enough for 4 meals out of the other half! It was awesome! I seriously could eat that stuff weekly! We paired it with chips and salsa. And then the BEST dessert ever! (Especially when you factor in how easy it was!)

Mexican Sopapilla Dark Chocolate Cheesecake

I had to keep the title of the dessert a secret until we were already eating it! You know what? I have this strange man I am married to who does NOT like cheesecake.  I think that might be part of the reason I liked this so much I never make cheesecake because he is very firm on his hatred of it and if he won't eat it then I will eat the whole thing and that doesn't seem like a good idea.  But sometimes he will eat desserts that are cheesecake-esque and not make mention of it. His problem is things that are too sweet.  As it is, he is known far and wide for his need for a glass of milk with every dessert he eats to cut the sweetness.  I guess where I have a major sweet tooth, he has an it's-too-sweet tooth.  When I was crushing on him in college and desperate for him to ask me out, my Mom and I baked him some cookies and I brought them to him and his roommates as a care package.  Weeks later I discovered rock hard petrified cookies in his room, untouched.  I was so upset that he hadn't eaten my gift.  Then I find out, he doesn't really like sweets but he also wouldn't let his roommates eat them because he liked me too and felt like they were too special to just be devoured by his roommates.   We were cute and a little weird.  I guess we still are.  Ok enough memory lane, the recipe!!

2 pkg crescent rolls
2 pkg cream cheese
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Cinnamon sugar mix
1 stick of butter
1/2 bag dark chocolate chips

Roll 1 tube of crescent rolls in 9 x 13. Mix cream cheese, sugar and vanilla.  Spread over crescents.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips and top with other tupe of rolls.  Melt butter and pour over top and sprinkle heavily with cinnamon sugar.  Bake at 350 for 30 min. Cool at least 10 min before eating.

This is like Monkey Bread and Chocolate Cheesecake fell in love and had a baby and the baby is RIDICULOUS! I was in heaven.  So as I type this I ask my adorable husband with whom I just celebrated 9 years of wedded bliss, "Why is it that you can eat this but you hate cheesecake so much? Or did you just eat it for me?" Sheepish grin. "Well you worked so hard on it. I wanted to be nice.  It's just SO sweet." Really? We ate it three times and he was just being nice.  Shoot next time I won't waste it on him.  It was rich but it was heavenly rich in my opinion.  I think despite his glowing endorsement you will thank me for this one.  Want a closer look....

closer...
Mmmmm..........
Delicioso, muy muy delicioso. 


I hope you have enjoyed our Mexican themed series. 
I hope this doesn't mean I have to talk about feelings yet.
I hope Pinterest and my slacker lifestyle haven't driven all of my readers away.
I guess you can say I'm hopeful!

Buenos Noches Amigos!



No comments:

Post a Comment